Post 16 Choices
A level route
This is an academic route. Entry criteria vary from one college to another. Pupils should be achieving mainly Grades 5's & 6's in GCSE subjects.
For pupils who want to:
- Keep their study options open
- Have not yet decided on a particular career
- Who enjoy academic study
- Who want to go onto to University, Employment, Degree Apprenticeships
This is the vocationally based route and the qualifications gained could be one of the following. BTEC, City and Guilds, NVQ.
For pupils who:
- Follow a particular career route
- Enjoy a mixture of coursework and exams
- Want to go onto University, Employment or Degree Apprenticeships
It is important that pupils check the route/course by reading college prospectuses and by asking for advice or clarification. Check with Mrs Heyes Connexions advisor.
Earning and Learning - Apprenticeships
With the governments introduction of the Apprenticeship Levy we anticipate that there will be an increasing number of apprenticeship opportunities over the years. There is also a new degree apprenticeship which is available post 18.
For pupils who:
- Want to continue learning whilst earning a wage
- Have a career pathway in mind
- Prefer to spend more time in the workplace than in a college setting
- Want to continue their education to degree level via the workplace
Competition for places can be tough and pupils should be actively looking for vacancies in the New Year. We suggest pupils:
- Research companies, local press, training providers for opportunities – see school website for a list of companies
- Seek advice from Sarah Heyes/Mrs Selfe
A Traineeship is an education and training programme with work experience that is focused on giving young people the skills and experience that employers are looking for. At its core are work preparation training, English and Math's for those who need it, and a high quality work experience placement.
A Traineeship will put you in a better position to compete for an Apprenticeship or other job.
Local colleges or training providers such as Babbington and Alliance Learning are offering Traineeship opportunities.
Queries or more Information
For further information, advice and guidance contact:
Sarah Heyes Connexions advisor firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sarah is in school every Tuesday and Thursday Ext 156.
To Year 11
Download this free careers magazine aimed at year 11 leavers.
Its packed with information about career pathways, decisions, university, apprenticeships.
Please click here to download your free magazine.