GCSE Media STUDIES
What are the Media?
- Comics, Cartoons and Animation
- Pop Music
- Advertising and Marketing
Why Study Media?
Media Studies is one of the most exciting subjects available to students today, partly because It has so much variety but mostly because it is modern, current and relevant to your life. It reflects the world that you live in and by studying this subject you are helping to make sense of the world you inhabit.
What does the course consist of?
- Studying and analysing the Media you use every day.
- Learning how Media Products such as; advertisements, movies, TV programmes and newspapers are made.
- Making your own magazines, newspapers, radio programmes and short films.
- Using and developing your own talents, ideas and skills.
How is the course assessed?
Through a final examination (40%) and three controlled assessments (60%)
- Assignment 1: introduction to the media
- Assignment 2: cross-media study
- Assignment 3: Practical Production and Evaluation
Can anyone do this course?
The course is suitable for pupils with good academic ability and creative flair, as there is a considerable amount of written work and analysis required. The full range of GCSE grades A*-G is awarded. Pupils with a particular interest can go on to follow A Level or GNVQ Courses in Media Studies, Communication Studies, Theatre Studies or Performing Arts at our local colleges.