KEY STAGE 3
St James’s Church of England High School is committed to raising standards of achievement across all areas of activity and for all students across the ability range through the promotion of Physical Education, Sport and Healthy Lifestyles. Our purposeful designed curriculum allows pupils to follow a broad and balanced PE curriculum in Years 7 & 8 from the ranges of content:
- Outwitting opponents, as in games activities
- Accurate replication of actions, phrases and sequences, as in gymnastic activities
- Exploring and communicating ideas, concepts and emotions, as in dance activities
- Performing at maximum levels in relation to speed, height, distance, strength or accuracy, as in athletic activities
- Identifying and solving problems to overcome challenges of an adventurous nature, as in life saving and personal survival in swimming and outdoor activities
- Exercising safely and effectively to improve health and wellbeing, as in fitness and health activities
In Year 9 pupils have the opportunity to follow their own designed personal pathways in sport. Pupils continue to follow their pathway of choice in KS4 but there is a greater influence of teaching in Leadership and Fitness.
Pupils are taught and assessed through TRAXS: their ability to apply rules and tactical approaches to sport, their ability to recognize strengths and weaknesses in performance and suggest improvements, Mental and Physical Ability, X factor (skill level), their knowledge of health and fitness and its specific sporting context.
Our curriculum together with the provision of OSHL and the Community Program has proven to increase participation rates in Physical Education and Sport as well as raised achievement.